Historic cinema loses listed building bid

By Edward Elliot

 

A HISTORIC former cinema built just after the First World War has failed in an attempt to gain listed status.

 

The Palace Cinema in Stocksbridge, constructed in 1920, was denied the status due to modernisation of the original build and a lack of special architecture.

 

Stocksbridge Town Council wrote to English Heritage earlier in the year stating that the building is of local historic and architectural interest and should therefore be protected from unsympathetic renovation or demolition.

 

However, after a full inspection of the building on Thursday, October 6, the application was turned down.

 

Mayor of Stocksbridge Coun Martin Brelsford said he was disappointed by the decision but not surprised.

 

“We thought it was worth an attempt,” he said. “But we were aware that English Heritage has very high standards.

 

“Of course, we are disappointed but it doesn’t change a great deal. The cinema building will remain and, although it’s not protected by status, it’s up to the people of Stocksbridge to look after it.”

 

In a letter to the council, English Heritage said the cinema had undergone a number of significant alterations which had undermined its special interest in the national context.

 

It said: “Although the building retains some attractive detailing, this is standard rather than special for its date.”

 

The Palace, on Manchester Road, first opened its doors on May 12, 1921, a year after it was built, and seated up to 1,000 people.

 

Just over 45 years later the cinema closed and became a bingo hall before being turned into a shopping mall in 1989 that is still in use today.

 

Jennifer Staniforth, 64, of Coultas Avenue, Deepcar, grew up in Stocksbridge and has fond memories of visiting the cinema.

 

“I went there regularly with my friends as a girl,” she said. “I don’t see why it can’t still be used as a cinema because the town doesn’t have one anymore.

 

“It would have been nice to get the building listed because it is a special place to me, but as long as it is still there then I’m happy.”

 

England currently has around 375,000 listed buildings, with 1,200 of these located in the city of Sheffield.

 

Nick Ward, 27, of New Road, said: “I can’t remember the building being used as a cinema but it definitely stands out because of the way it looks.

 

“I’m not particularly bothered about the status but I think it is a nice landmark for the town and a reminder of the past.”